Saturday 4 August 2012

Hold the Lycra!!

So this pregnancy i thought, 'im gunna be careful with my eating and try to maintain an exercise regime to limit the weight gain'...you know, try to be healthy!  
Healthy pregnancy weight gain for someone of my pre-pregnancy size...
15-25lbs - most of this should occur from about 25 weeks on.
Current weight gain at 22weeks....oh you know...12....KG'S!!!  So i may or may not have already exceeded the recommended weight gain...possibly...for the entire pregnancy!
 
 TIME FOR ACTION!! 
 (ok, so that time was probably a while ago, but better late than never right??)


And so i started walking a bit, just to work, or home from work.  That ended a couple of weeks ago when, as i was walking by 2 little girls, one looked at me with a horrified expression and said 'Are you having your baby?!?'.....Uh no!!  Not for another 4 months thank-you-very-much!!! And as i continued on my humiliated way i suddenly became aware of how i must look!  Huge tummy, flushed face, breathing heavily (from walking fast mind you!)...and that waddle!!  Yeah, i already waddle :(

Time to find another mode of action!!


It's always a sad day when the only aerobic workout you can find either requires you to A - wear psychedelic lycra that disappears up your *insert-humorous-whistle* or B - twist into the most unbelievable positions where your head almost disappears up your *insert-humorous-whistle-again*!  I'm on the hunt for a decent prenatal work out and so far....Well, the pickings are fairly slim!  With my first pregnancy i tried Prenatal Pilates.  Yup.  As you can see from my 30+kg weight gain during said pregnancy, it wasn't successful.  I assure you, if you cant bend that way before your pregnant, adding a bulging tum' and swollen everything else sure as heck aint gunna help the situation!!


 And so now im waiting for the next dvd to arrive!  (Praying for NO Lycra and NO awkward poses!!) And in the mean time, i shall continue to walk up and down our staircase, and down to the letterbox too (The whole 20 meters) with a bag of choc covered raisins in each hand. (For balance obviously)

Please note, weight loss is not the object of desire here!  I DO NOT want to lose weight (well, i actually do, but not til Squirt has joined us!). What i do hope to achieve is a healthy weight gain that is appropriate for a pregnant, working mum!  Not the excessive 'im pregnant and cant control my eating and im too lazy to move' gain that i experienced last time!  

Id love to here how anyone else deals with things like this, and what kind of exercise worked for them! (Aside from swimming!  Its the middle of winter and our indoor pools aren't heated enough to stop me from shivering uncontrollably!)

PS: I shall start including my weight gain in my bump updates to shame myself into trying to be healthier!!...(when i remember...)

Toodles!!  :)

'Live for a Life without Regret'


12 comments:

  1. I went to the fruit shop one weekend and the lady behind the counter was arguing with me that I must be due the next day because I was huge - I still had 4 months to go too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why oh why do people even bother to make guesses at something like that! It amazes me!

      Delete
  2. Hilarious! With both of my pregnancies, I was a huge fan of yoga. I got my doctor's "okay" to do Bikram, which is a fantastic workout. And I LOVE the heat you get with that style of yoga. Have you ever tried it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would Love to try Bikram, just because it encourages heat, but the whole yoga part gives me headaches so i haven't progressed past the beginners stage yet!

      Delete
  3. At one point this time I had gained 10 pounds in one month! My midwife asked questions like, 'how did this happen?'. Ugh, I knew exactly how it happened: cupcakes! From that point I just tried to be more mindful. I switched cupcakes out with greek yogurt and strawberries. I know, not as fun! I'm so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh i'm so glad my midwife hasn't asked me that! I wouldn't know where to begin!! I just switched my ice cream for yogurt so that's a start!! It's gunna be a tough one though, chocolate raisins taste so good!!

      Delete
  4. I had gestational diabetes so I saw a a dietician who was REALLY helpful. I ate really healthy and I only drank water. I did this work out DVD 3 times a week:
    http://www.amazon.ca/Fit-Mom-Artist-Not-Provided/dp/B002OPZ38I/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1344357412&sr=1-1
    I gained 27lbs with Landon and 12lbs with Hannah. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh i Def' need to increase my water intake! Some days (ok, most days) i dont even make it to 750mls :( That Dvd's out of stock, but Hubby found me one by Erin O'Brien that looks really good...i just need to do the darn thing now!lol

      Delete
  5. I know how you feel, I've gained 37 pounds so far! And that's with trying really hard to stay active and eat right. My best tip is drink water all day long. I think since I started keeping a gallon with me and trying to finish it by the end of the day that I've been doing a lot better with overeating. But it's hard, all I can say is at least we can get back in shape when we're running after 2 little ones with no time to eat lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually fantastic with my water intake until i got pregnant again and now it's all gone to custard and i have to force myself to drink! Carrying a water bottle is a fantastic idea though!! And yep, i def' agree that there wont be much 'lazy' time with 2 littlies!!

      Delete
  6. Hmmm I want to gain more weight just because I'm worry... So far 5-6 pounds (if no less) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh, im jealous!! And looking forward to more bump pics!!!

      Delete