Monday 8 October 2012

The Last Chance Garden...


Yup, as in if this one doesn't work i give up!!  Everything will be dug up and i'll start a snail farm!....Or a weed farm....whichever happens first.

In all my history of gardening (aka since last year) Iv only ever gotten the minimum edible stuff off my plants! (with the exception of the silver-beet and spinach, but honestly, they kinda grow themselves!).  My strawberries have been ok too, spreading like weeds, but still not an abundance of fruit.
I didn't even get to eat any broccoli, tomatoes, or sweetcorn and those were the few plants i really had my eye on!

So this spring, in our new rental home, the gardens have been started, and this time i actually became slightly informed on the subject of vege gardening!

I gotta tell ya, the cats and bugs of the neighborhood must think i'm a freakin' legend!!  My 'Free-for-all salad bar and litter box' was an instant hit.  Not even my planter tubs were safe from the marauding pests!!

It took the slime bugs (this includes slugs and snails) about 12 hours to reduce 1 of my large lettuces to this...


 "Try a beer trap" Screamed an on-line article, so off we (yes We, Hubby gets dragged into all my wee capers!) went, preparing our 'Beer jacuzzi'


That's my remaining half eaten (bug infested) lettuce right there. Just next to the 'jacuzzi'.  (We did catch plenty of slugs and snails in the 'beer jacuzzi', but alas the rest escaped and went on to invite their family to the feast)

My peas and beans were next on their menu resulting in this....



 Then the little buggers started to make a meal of my Cauli's....


"Get some Marigolds, bugs hate them!"  So off i went and planted my brand new 'repellent plant' (You can kinda see it in the above pic, nice splash of color to the garden really!)


 That's the remainder of one of my Marigold plants.  And in the midst of all this, i also had to regularly fish multiple cat poops out of my garden, and try to mend/replant the veges they broke or uprooted in their digging!!  Not impressed!!  Now i know the answer is pretty obvious.  Bug bait and a cover, but i was hoping to teach Lachy to 'help' in the garden!  I even planted the strawberries in the front because then he could reach them on his own, and eat them once ripe (or bash them with his spade, you know, whatever).

But now, however, it's totally Game On!!


Plants are being replaced/ replanted one last time, cats will be shut out, bugs will be slaughtered (in the nicest possible way...i think) and my child will be safe!  I spent the day yesterday (whilst monkey was hanging with his cousins at my sisters zoo farm) re-fertilizing soil, laying weed mat (cats can't scratch in dirt that's not there) laying stones, replanting new plants, and caging my raised bed!  (That last parts a lie, Hubby did all the caging, i held a piece of the chicken mesh at one point though so that makes me co-creator)

Check out my newly complete, pest proof (bloody better be anyway!!) garden!!!

My Courgette and Capsicum plants (weed mat and river stones)

Broccoli (Nothing, these guys are growing great!!)

My strawberries!  Newly contained in my raised bed!

Cucumber plant! (weed mat and river stones)

Corns (Weed mat, haven't got enough riverstones yet!)

Tomatoes!! (Weed mat, no stones yet)

The Garden Cage!!!

There is also a gate on the front of this now too :)


Meet Quash!  Recommended to me by a work friend that doesn't want to kill off the birds that enjoy her garden! (Also safe for kids and pets).  This has been used liberally around my gardens (except the broccoli) and my fingers are now crossed!!  Even though it's says safe for kids, i'm going to try to teach Lachy that it's not good, just in case he starts to think he can play with/eat any bug bait! In reality he's never out there alone anyway, so it's not such a drama really!

So here's hoping for some garden magic!! It would be so nice to finally serve up a meal with my very own vegetables!!!

Stay Tuned.....

Ps:  24 hours since the overhaul and nothing has touched my fledgling garden!!  YUSS!!
Pps:  Did i mention that we currently have 23 different vegetables and fruit beginning to grow around our home????  Super proud!!! :D

Toodles!!  :)

'Live for a Life without Regret'

No comments:

Post a Comment