Tuesday 28 October 2014

DIY Kids Bench seat!

If you didn't gather from the last post, my house can get pretty messy from time to time all the time.  My lounge is pretty much a battle zone from 6am til 7pm, and i'm totally fine with that (ask me again after i've tripped over my third truck) but i like to have a few quick and easy clean up solutions for those occasions when i have to pretend to function. 

Toy boxes are the obvious solution, but i wanted a neat way to store them....and then i saw This and it all made sense!!  After a wee chat to Hubby and a lil' bit of shopping and rummaging we got to work!

I was given the job of making the seat part! 

I used a yoga mat cut to size for a nice cushion base, followed by a layer that i cut from an old Duvet!


I was super lucky that Spotlight had a sale on all their fabric, and i was able to get a couple of meters of this 'Construction' upholstery fabric for a steal!
Also...I got to use a gun stapler! Wahoo!...(Clearly I don't get out much)


Meanwhile, somewhere outside, Hubby was getting the storage part sorted!  We made it to fit the 2 containers that we were already using to store toys :)


And on goes the seat!!  I'm exceptionally proud of myself for getting the fabric print in the right direction! (Yes, that is something i would stuff up!)


Given that this is a seat for small children we decided that painting the outside of the box would be a good idea, to make it easier to clean.  Construction yellow seemed like a good choice!


And here is the finished product!! 
Super proud of our efforts we are!!  And the boys just LOVE it!!!


The Official Seal of Approval - Two very happy boys!
 Lachy has taken to setting up his trains on top, and Olly will happily sit and just open and close the drawers, occasionally removing a toy or putting one away :)


We did get a few more crafty bits done (Love 3 day weekends!) but that can be another post for another day! :)  Would love to know how you store your kids toys away!! 


Renee  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment