Tuesday 6 March 2012

I Runned Far.....

Has anyone ever died from chaffing, or will i be the first?? Running 21km Did not do my skin any favors...Whats that? Oh yes, the 21km i ran the other day, you know, THE HALF MARATHON I RAN!!!!!!

I DID IT!!!

We turned up to Rotorua scared witless, almost to the point of incontinence!!(Almost) We got there about 20 mins before my start, which was enough time for me to grab my pack then stand in the porta-loo line attaching all necessary items to my singlet/shoe!! Chugged back a gel (Tropical flavor my butt!!) and headed for the start!!

LOVE my singlet!!!
 The run itself was half forest track, half road with a bit of mud, gravel and lifted tree roots thrown in for good measure!!  The first 10km i ran at a faster pace than expected (?adrenaline/gel/aliens beaming me along) and i completed the first half in 1 hour 10 mins.  Then i hit 12km and with it a 'wall' of sorts!  My pace slowed down and my legs said 'ok, that's enough for today!'.

Starting out! Never seen myself from that view before....
The last 5km were pretty damn hard!!  I stumbled on visible and imaginary things, walked for about 100 meters on 4 separate occasions, and generally just started devising ways of injuring myself so that i could stop!!  And then just passed the 20km mark i got CRAMP!!!  Wow!! Iv never had a calf cramp whilst moving!! My forward motion was reduced to a shuffle as i watched the guy in front of me pitch forward holding his own calf!!  It was pretty freakin horrible i tell ya!!  Fortunately, iv seen 'Run, Fatboy Run' and i said to myself  'If Dennis Doyle from downstairs can do it, So can i!!'  and with that i put on my Big Girl Rundies and stumbled sped to the finish!!

A couple of meters from the finish!!!
2:43:48  
 was my official time for the event!  It's a time i am Super Happy with, and it means i completed the 2 goals i set!  1 - To finish the run  2 - To achieve a sub 3  (i feel fancy saying that!!  I really do!!)

Did i enjoy it?  Most of it!  (Not when i tried to open my 2nd gel and spilt it all over myself)  Will i do anything different?  Yep, my training runs need to extend and get more varied!  Will i do it again?  Hells Yes il do it again...in April, hopefully.....Crazy Much???



Toodles!!  :)

'Live for a Life without Regret'

Ps:  Thanks for all the lovely advice/supportive comments you awesome folks have given me!!!
And thanks InSynergy!!! Our team ROCKS!!!

7 comments:

  1. Good for you! That's incredible! I'm adding your button to my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Man you look so skinny! In a good way... like hot skinny, fit skinny, not "eat a pie" skinny!
    Sorry... sidetracked... you were amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome! Great job! You should now shoot for a marathon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's so freaking awesome!! congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats! i admire you! i could never do this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow good for you! I haven't run a half-Marathon since before I had kids...four years ago!! Maybe you'll inspire me!! (Probably not, but you never know!! :-))

    PS...thanks for your comments on my article on Mom patience...I've gotten a few negative nellies so I really appreciate your kind thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats, that's awesome! I love that you were able to smile at the very end hahah!

    ReplyDelete