Wednesday 24 June 2015

The Beauty of Adventure


There are a huge amount of things I want my children to learn as they grow up, and in spite of the day and age they're growing up in, none of the things at the top of my list include technology.
I'm not at all dismissing technology as a bad thing (because sometimes that i-pad is a lifesaver), just as a lower priority!

I want my kids to know the fun and excitement of being outside in the fresh air with nature, before they learn to google answers and read articles about the adventures of others.


The Beauty of Adventure?
 It doesn't always have to come on a grand scale.  Adventure, can be found in the smallest moments, if you only take the time to find it.

 The excitement of new discoveries, and fun in small but significant moments.  Counting the little things as huge, because they are.

Seeing potential in every tree, a fort in every blanket, a feast in every bean sprout.  I want my children to learn about fishing for sprats to feed the cat, and carving something with their own hands.  I want them to play in mud and eat a few snails, try to catch butterflies and collect different sea shells.


Every now and then, I'm reminded of just how special little moments can be, by the light in my children's eyes as they describe something to me, or see something that I would otherwise have over-looked.

When we walk, they point out leaves, bridges, clouds, and they will often include a story about the item that's caught their attention.  A troll under the bridge, a giant in the clouds, leaves coloured in by fairies.  As we garden, bugs are discussed (occasionally eaten) and plants are picked (also occasionally eaten).


When I take the time to slow down and pay attention, their adventure becomes mine too, as they share their delight, and I get to feel the excitement and joy that comes from discovering new things, even if it is for the millionth time.
For this gift from my children, I am so very grateful.


Let's be Adventurers!




No comments:

Post a Comment